Pastry sous chef Trew’s SMS came in yesterday and made it official. Strawberry season in Miami has arrived! This morning I made a bee line to the restaurant to see them first hand and get a taste of where these seed-studded red rubies will be showing up on the menu. First is strawberry jelly for this Sunday brunch’s pop tarts, as well as sweet, tart and creamy strawberry ice cream. I rang up Chris Padin, Ali Lauria’s hubby who has taken over the role of forager for @MGFD_MIA since late summer, to find out where the first berries were coming from. ”Corona Farm on my Tuesday farm run. It’s the one we’ve been using lately for eggplant and mixed squash, zucchini, and all that calabaza,” he explained. ”It’s owned by Martha Corona and her husband Lupe… They have about 10 acres off of Krome Ave in Homestead.” You may remember the post I did on last strawberry season; Corona is what Ali referred to as Martha’s U-Pick. “They think the season is going to be good. The weather has been right for it,” Chris continued. ”Burrs and Knaus kick in next week, by Christmas… If not then, the week after they should be in full production mode.” Try the season’s first in the Sweet section on Sunday’s brunch menu, and it’s only a matter of time before chef de cuisine Bradley Herron is making one of his crazy good salads with them. You have until March, right before blueberry season kicks in around April, to enjoy them. Thank you South Florida : )
Looking for Something? Search Here.
- Interview with Penny Parham, Administrative Director, Department of Food & Nutrition, Miami-Dade Public Schools
- The Tattooed Beekeeper, His Wife and the Secret Life of Bees
- All the World's a Stage, The Genuine Cooks Merely Players
- Summer Time is Intern Time at The Genuine Hospitality Group!
- Grand Cayman Farmer Update: Saturday Morning at The Market at The Grounds
- Gigging in the Glades
- Thank God It's....LYCHEE Season!!!
- RT @beardfoundation: We’re almost ready to roll at Lincoln Center! You can watch JBF Awards ceremony live at jamesbeard.org! #jbfa 2 weeks ago
- Follow @MGFD_MIA
- First meal at Ristorante Oasis in Vallesaccarda, on our way to Bernalda instagram.com/p/ZlW3SvRRzZ/ 10 hours ago
- This is happening. #twilightswim #nannydiaries #xboxban @ schwartzcasa instagram.com/p/ZmAx58MsAQ/ 4 hours ago
- What to make w/ lots of ripe bananas... caramelized banana, peanut butter+bacon sliders for all the… instagram.com/p/ZmIQZ1lYft/ 3 hours ago
- A friend was due in at 10pm via aeroplane. Currently in Ft. Myers to refuel and will get back in air to circle and try to land in this storm 1 day ago
- It's Tuesday evening so you know what that means... Daily Dinner Special time and it's Ossobucco Alla Milanes… tmblr.co/ZFarxwlW_b01 6 hours ago
- Artichokes working earlier for Pan Roasted Black Grouper, our local fish in its short late… instagram.com/p/ZluUNPRar3/ 7 hours ago
- off from work 2morrow? Join us 4 Indian Tuesday 2night! 3course family style meal only 30 ci @CamanaBay @chefttennant http://t.co/eogNJnstk7 9 hours ago
- Follow @chefttennant
- RT @MGHomeBrew: Drink it! RT @elliesara: "Look what I found!" @charlesdbell @sbeCollection @chefmschwartz @rmsatraleigh Martini Bar http://… 1 month ago